Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I know this much is TRU

My wife and I recently went to the award winning restaurant, "TRU" for our anniversary. One of the many things we love to do together is going out to eat. We've been to TRU maybe 3 times before and have always had a wonderful time. We knew that since this would be our 4th time that we would probably try some other top tier restaurants for future special occasions so we decided to order the Chef's collection with the wine pairing. I won't go through the entire menu, but I would like to point out some of the most memorable items, as everything you eat at TRU is memorable. We always love the white sturgeon "Caviar", avocado, hazelnut paired with Santorini Santorini barrel sigalas 2009. It is served in a faux caviar can with an avocado "spread" served with, but a few chips.

The next course was one that I expected not to like, but was very surprised. Suspeneded foie gras, pineapple, mango, and pecan tuile paired with bonny doon vineyard le vol des anges arroyo secco 2007. It wasn't the traditional foie gras preparation, at least the times that I've had it. It was as if the chef had dried out the foie gras and pineapple, then placed it on a pecan brittle. The sweet fruity notes of the wine paired nicely with the citrus of the pineapple and the heartiness of the foie gras and pecan flavors.

Our third course was "inside of an English Pea soup with lavender" which at first may bring up images of dark bitter tastes, but this was different in that, it took the essence of Pea soup and mixed it with the flowery flavor of lavender in a creamy texture. The wine pairing was Chateau d'esclans garrus cote de provence 2009, a rose which surprisingly had depth and a little bite to it, if I recall correctly. I really loved the intensity of the flavor profile in the soup. Everything was so well balanced.

The first "meat" course was duroc pork belly, stone ground grits, and pickled ramps paired with wehlener sonnenuhr riesling kabinett m.f. richter mosel-saar-ruwer 2007. Once again I was pleasantly suprised, not because I loved the pork belly and the paired Riesling, but how much I loved the grits along with it. The chef was able to take out the negative texture of grits and make each facet soothing yet substantial.
The only course that I had any mixed feelings about was the Scottish Salmon and that was because of the preparation, which by no means was wrong or bad or poorly cooked. The Chef seared the outside of the salmon which is not really to my liking, yet the fish itself was wonderful. My wife and I always love eating at TRU, not only for the world class food and wine, but the cheese course and deserts that they give. The experience of TRU is truly a culinary massage for the palate and soul.
Bon appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment